Prof. Rezaul K Begg
Professor, Victoria University
· Office: Footscray Park Campus (Room PB201)
· Tel: +61 3 9919 1116
· Fax: +61 3 9919 1242
· Email: email@example.com
Rezaul Begg researches in Biomedical Engineering and Biomechanics areas. The main focus of his research is to advance understanding of locomotor control patterns in humans, and to find out how these control patterns and dynamic balance are modified due to disease states and across the lifespan. Various modeling, statistical and artificial intelligence approaches (e.g., artificial neural networks, support vector machines) as well as biomedical instrumentation are used to address these issues. He has published over 150 research papers in these areas in Journals and Conference Proceedings. He has also published 4 Books and 12 Book Chapters.
· Gait and Movement Analysis
· Biosignal Processing
· Computational Intelligence
· Sensor Technologies in Healthcare
· Biomedical Instrumentation
· Foot Pressure Sensors, Sensor Design
Recent ARC grants
· Lai D, Begg RK & Palaniswami M (editors) (2012) Healthcare Sensor Networks: Challenges Toward Practical Implementation. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Books Inc, Boca Raton, Florida, USA (439 pages), ISBN-978-1439821817.
Selected Recent Publications
· Levinger P, Lai D, Menz H, Feller J, Begg RK (2012) Swing limb mechanics and minimum toe clearance in people with knee osteoarthritis. Gait and Posture 35(2): 277-281.
· Karmakar C, Khandoker AH, Begg RK and Palaniswami M (2012) Understanding ageing effects using complexity analysis of foot-ground clearance during walking. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. Available online 30/1/2012.
· Nagano H, Begg RK, Sparrow WA, Taylor S (2011) Ageing and limb dominance effects on foot-ground clearance during treadmill and overground walking. Clinical Biomechanics 26(9), 962-968.
· Lai DTH, Taylor S, Begg RK (2011) Prediction of foot clearance parameters as a precursor to forecasting the risk of tripping and falling. Human Movement Science - doi:10.1016/j.humov.2010.07.009.
· Barrett R, Mills P, Begg RK (2010). A systematic review of the effect of ageing and falls history on minimum foot clearance characteristics during level walking. Gait and Posture 32(4), 429-435.
· Mehdi AM, Zayegh A, Begg RK (2010) GK based fuzzy clustering for the diagnosis of cardiac arrhythmia. International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Applications, 9(2), 105-123.
· Hassan R, Hossain M, Begg RK, Kotagiri R, Morsi Y (2010) Breast-Cancer identification model using HMM-Fuzzy model. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 40(3), 240-251.
· Khandoker AH, Lynch K, Karmakar C, Begg RK and Palaniswami M (2010) Toe Clearance and Velocity profiles of Young and Elderly during Walking on Sloped Surfaces. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 7:18.
· Lai D, Levinger P, Begg RK, Gilleard W & Palaniswami M (2009) Automatic recognition of gait patterns exhibiting patellofemoral pain syndrome using a Support Vector Machine approach. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine 13(5), 687-702.
· Lai D, Begg RK & Palaniswami M (2009) Computational Intelligence in Gait Research: A perspective on current applications and future challenges. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine 13(5), 810-817.
· Levinger P, Lai D, Begg RK, Webster K & Feller J (2009) The application of Support Vector Machines for detecting recovery from knee replacement surgery using spatio-temporal gait parameters. Gait and Posture 29, 91-96.
· Zhang B-L, Zhang Y and Begg RK (2009) Gait classification in children with cerebral palsy by Bayesian approach. Pattern Recognition 42(4), 581-586.
· Sparrow WA, Begg RK & Parker S (2008) Variability in the foot-ground clearance and step timing of young and older men during single-task and dual-task treadmill walking. Gait and Posture 28, 563567.
AH, Taylor S, Karmakar C, Begg RK
D, Begg RK, Taylor S &
· Best RJ & Begg RK (2008) A method for calculating the probability of tripping while walking. Journal of Biomechanics 41, 1147-1151.
AH, Lai D, Begg RK &
· Begg RK, Best RJ, Taylor S & Dell'Oro L (2007) Minimum foot clearance during walking: Strategies for the minimization of trip-related falls. Gait and Posture 25, 191-198.
· Kamruzzaman J & Begg RK (2006) Support vector machines and other approaches to the recognition of cerebral palsy gait. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 53(12), 2479-2490.
· Begg RK & Sparrow WA (2006) Ageing effects on knee and ankle angles during major events and phases of the gait cycle. Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology 30(6), 382-389.
· Begg RK (2006). Neural Network-based prediction of missing key features in vertical GRF-time recordings. Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology 30(5), 315-322.
· Sparrow WA, Begg RK & Park S (2006) Ageing effects on visual reaction time in a single task condition and when treadmill walking. Motor Control, 10, 201-211.
· Begg RK & Kamruzzaman J (2006) Artificial neural networks for movement pattern recognition. Australasian Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine 29(2), 188-195.
· Begg RK, Palaniswami M & Owen B (2005) Support vector machines for automated gait classification. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 52(5), 828-838.
· Begg RK & Kamruzzaman J (2005) A machine learning approach for automated recognition of movement patterns using basic, kinetic and kinematic gait data. Journal of Biomechanics 8, 401-408.
· Dr Tony Sparrow
· Dr Amity Campbell
· Dr Oren Tirosh
· Dr Pazit Levinger
Postgraduate Research Supervision
Current Research students
· Braveena Santhiranayagam (PhD) Sensors and actuators in gait rehabilitation
· Hanatsu Nagano (PhD) Understanding foot trajectory control during locomotion
· Simon Taylor (PhD) - Foot clearance dynamics in gait
· Baharuddin Mustapha (PhD - with A/Prof Aladin Zayegh) Sensor design for obstacle detection
· Abdul Hadi Abdur Razzak (PhD - with A/Prof Aladin Zayegh) Foot pressure sensor system design
· Linah Wafai ((PhD - with A/Prof Aladin Zayegh) Early detection of pressure pattern changes in diabetic foot
· Ferdous Wahid (PhD with Prof Saman Halgamuge) Automated gait pattern recognition
· Adam Larcom (MSc) Effect of balance training on AFL
· Tom Quine (Hons) Reflexive foot control during slipping
Past Research Students
· Lisa Dell'Oro (PhD)
· Yufriddin Wahab (PhD)
· Noel Lythgo (PhD)
· Jimmy Cai (MSc) - ACHPER Award
· Subhash Basumatary (MSc) - ACHPER Award
· Joel Martin (Hons)
· Lisa Dell'Oro (Hons)
· Simone Lewis (Hons)
· Amanda Johns (Hons)
· Kate Lynch (Hons)
· Hanatsu Nagano (Hons)
Journal Editorial Board Member
· Journal of Computer Networks and Communications
· Special Issue on Sensors in Biomechanics and Biomedicine, Sensors.
· Special Issue on Biomedical Signal Sensing and Intelligent Information Processing, International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Applications (IJCIA).
· Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
· Experimental Brain Research
· Gait and Posture
Transactions on Biomedical Engineering
· IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering
· Physiological Measurements
(Technical Program Committee, Organizing Committee, Session Chair, etc)
· IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
· IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2008), Hong Kong, 2008.
Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications (SENSORCOMM 2008), Cap
· International Conference on Intelligent Sensor, Sensor Networks & Information Processing (ISSNIP), Melbourne, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009
Conference on Intelligent Sensor & Information Processing (ICISIP),
Conference on Neural Information Processing (ICONIP)
Processing, Systems, and Interdisciplinary (Research) IPSI
Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (ICECE),
Modelling & Simulation
Conference on Computational Intelligence and Multimedia Applications,
Australasian Biomechanics Conference,
· Special session on Biomedical Diagnostics, Melbourne
Session on Biometrics,